- Preparation Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- Yields: 8 large bagels
For the Bagels:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
For the Boiling Solution:
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced onions, garlic flakes, or coarse salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, instant yeast, salt, and sugar.
- Gradually add the warm water to the dry ingredients, stirring until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
- While the dough balls are resting, preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the granulated sugar and baking soda to the boiling water.
- Roll each dough ball into a rope about 10 inches long. Join the ends to form a bagel shape and pinch the ends together to seal.
- Carefully place the shaped bagels into the boiling water for about 1 minute, turning them over halfway through. Remove with a slotted spoon and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- If using optional toppings, sprinkle them on top of the boiled bagels.
- Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and have a firm crust.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, slice, toast, and serve with your favorite spreads or fillings.
Enjoy your homemade New York City Bagels, perfect for breakfast or anytime you crave an authentic, chewy bagel!
Nutrition Facts (per bagel, without toppings):
- Calories: 280
- Total Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 365mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 59g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 9g
Please note that the nutrition facts provided are approximate and can vary based on specific ingredients and serving sizes.